Heart Health Tips
Heart Health Tips From The Doctor
Residents and visitors love to explore the beautiful mountain terrain of Colorado's High Country. When coming to altitude many people don't properly prepare their bodies for the change in pressure and lower oxygen levels. Here are a few tips that can help you protect your heart from the side-effects of exercising at altitude:
1) Know your health status and if you have high health risks such as hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, heart failure or recent heart attack or surgery have a cardiovascular evaluation.
2) Know your functional capacity and be conditioned.
3) Understand and anticipate the altitude effect on your body and the expected activity.
4) Limit stimulants and alcohol and keep well hydrated.
5) Plan to acclimate for a few days(lighter activities the first day and more strenous activities a few days later).
6) Have a great time, exercising in the high country is very special.