Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
A nurse has been called in to examine and take
special care of you. A victim's advocate will also
be called in to assist you with any needs you may
have. This care begins in the emergency room.
The advocate can stay with you as your support
system during the exam. If you feel you need to
see a doctor you may also request the presence
of a physician.
Benefits of the SANE Program
- Free and confidential forensic exams
- Free testing for drug facilitated sexual assault (date rape drug)
- Specially educated and trained nurses
- An advocate for you
- Increased and coordinated resources
- Increased victim reporting rates
- Consistent, quality evidence collection
- Increased prosecution rates of perpetrators
- Expert witness for trial
Current SANE nurses at Summit include:
Jennifer McConnell (Program Coordinator)
They are available 24/7/365 to respond to needs of assault victims. Dr. Lisa Patel is the Physician Advisor for the program. Chief Nursing Officer Jodee Trainor and Emergency Services Director Jill Boyle provide additional program oversight and guidance.