Tips for Victims
What to Expect During the SANE Exam:
- The entire examination consists of your medical history, your account of the assault, a head-to-toe exam, a genital exam and forensic evidence collection, lasting up to four hours.
- The forensic exam usually takes 90 minutes.The nurse will explain everything to you before the exam begins.
- The nurse will ask you details of the assault so that they can know where to look for injury and evidence. Your nurse will write down everything you tell them.
- The nurse will do a pregnancy test for women and give you medication to prevent sexually transmitted infections.
- The nurse will look for and treat any injury and collect evidence. Nurses have been specially trained not to cause more pain.
- You have the right to refuse any part of the exam. Please be aware that if the nurse does not perform certain steps of the exam, it may be more difficult to prove the assault in court.
- Remember, you do not have to agree to any part of the exam that you do not want to do.
- A victim's advocate will be called and is available to provide support, as needed, at your personal request.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to ask your nurse.
- For more information, download a SANE Brochure.